The Deen Bros. Lighter Country Ham and Red-Eyed Gravy
By Deen Brothers
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Servings: 1/6th of ham with about 2 tablespoons sauce and 1/4 cup grits
- 1 (about 1 1/2 pounds) bone-in low-sodium fully-cooked ham steak
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon packed light brown sugar
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the ham and cook 4 minutes. Turn and cook until the ham is browned and heated through, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate.
Add the butter to the skillet and heat over medium heat. Stir in the flour; cook 1 minute. Whisk in the coffee, broth, and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring, until the sauce begins to thicken slightly, about 1 minute. Return the ham to the skillet; heat through.
Meanwhile, to make the grits, bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Slowly whisk in the grits and salt. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Serve with the ham.