Macaroni and Cheese with Potato Chip Crust
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 10
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 4 cups warm milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- dash hot sauce
- dash Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lb cooked al dente cavatappi pasta
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
- 5 slices cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1/2 cup freshly grated, for topping Parmesan cheese
Heat oven to 350 to 375 °F.
Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a large saucepot over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in the warmed milk and bring to a boil, continue to whisk constantly. The mixture will thicken as the heat increases. Continue to stir while adding the dry mustard, nutmeg, cayenne, salt, pepper, hot sauce and Worcestershire. Stir in the 3 cups of cheddar until it melts.
Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and add to a 3 quart casserole dish.
Sprinkle the chips, bacon and Parmesan on top and bake for 35 minutes.