Italian Cherry Cookies
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 10
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon for frosting vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon divided almond extract
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 (16 oz) box confectioner's sugar
- 1 dash milk
- 1 dash red food coloring
Preheat oven to 350º.
In a medium bowl, add sugar, 1/2 cup vegetable shortening and maraschino cherry juice. Mix with an electric hand mixer until combined. Add egg, salt, baking powder, flour, 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, chopped maraschino cherries and finely chopped walnuts. Mix until a dough forms.
Using a teaspoon or scoop, form the cookie dough into balls and place on a parchment lined sheet tray. Bake for 8-9 minutes.
In another medium bowl, add 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening, confectionerâs sugar, 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, milk and red food coloring. Mix until combined with an electric hand mixer. Frost cookies and enjoy.